Conference Day One: Tuesday, 19 February 2019
REALISING BLOCKCHAIN’S POTENIAL FOR ENTERPRISES
8:55 am - 9:00 am ORGANISER
9:00 am - 9:30 am CHAIRPERSON
9:30 am - 9:50 am Visionary Opening
Blockchain Market Size is expected to cross USD 16 billion mark by 2024; according to a report by Global Market Insights, Inc. While Governments around the world are using blockchain to develop a competitive advantage worth billions, global enterprises are yet to incorporate the “biggest revolution since the internet”.
9:50 am - 10:15 am GOVERNMENT LEADERS EXCHANGE: THE GOVERNMENT’S GUIDE TO A SUCESSFUL BLOCKCHAIN IMPLEMENTATION – A deep dive into the key challenges governments are faced with while implementing blockchain technologyTaavi Roivas - Former Prime Minister, Estonia
Blockchain has the power to transform the way data is shared and improve its transparency. Governments around the world were among the first to recognise the benefits of this technology and are few steps ahead of enterprises in their blockchain journey. However, there are many challenges inhibiting Government blockchain use cases.
- Highlights of world’s leading government blockchain projects- understanding where they are in their lifecycle
- Limitations of Government blockchain networks
- How to improve functionality of blockchain networks
- Key takeaways from government blockchain projects
Taavi RoivasFormer Prime Minister
10:15 am - 10:40 am CROSS INDUSTRY EXCHANGE: MAKING THE BEST USE OF BLOCKCHAIN FOR YOUR BUSINESS - How blockchain creates true value for enterprises, delivers measurable business results and reduces costs of operationLes Male - Chief Executive Officer, Dubai Gold & Commodities Exchange (DGCX), UAE
Dr. Bernd van Linder - Chief Executive Officer, Commercial Bank of Dubai, UAE
Jacques Von Benecke - Chief Digital Officer, OSN
While Governments around the world are using blockchain to develop a competitive advantage that could be worth billions, global enterprises are yet to incorporate the “biggest revolution since the internet”.
- How can blockchain help businesses achieve transformation
- How to determine if blockchain is the right fit for your organisation
- How will cryptocurrency volatility affect your platform
- Balancing the high cost of adoption with risk of implementation
Les MaleChief Executive Officer
Dubai Gold & Commodities Exchange (DGCX), UAE
Dr. Bernd van LinderChief Executive Officer
Commercial Bank of Dubai, UAE
Jacques Von BeneckeChief Digital Officer
10:40 am - 11:10 am INTERNATIONAL KEYNOTE: STANDARDISATION, THE QUINTESENTIAL BLOCKCHAIN HURDLE - Can Blockchain continue to exist without the common industry standards?Taavi Roivas - Former Prime Minister, Estonia
The conversation on industry standards that focus on tech solutions to provide interoperability and system compatibility is coming to the fore. There are dozens of fragmented blockchains competing each their non interoperable standards and protocols. What does this mean for Blockchain and how will it impact the developments in the future?
- How can businesses ensure trust in such a fragmented ecosystem
- Can businesses still benefit from blockchain despite the lack on centralised standards and how?
- How far are we from the adoption of centralised standards?
Taavi RoivasFormer Prime Minister
11:10 am - 11:40 am SPEED NETWORKING & BREAK
Swap business-cards and break the ice with your fellow participants to start making those valuable connections
Different projects work on different platforms, use different coding language, consensus mechanisms and privacy and security measures. As a large enterprise, working with several platforms and projects hence becomes a very hectic job. To ensure Blockchain is mass enabled and implemented, there is a need for a set ecosystem and standards to ensure the right platforms are used and internal and external collaborations can become easier.
11:40 am - 12:00 pm INDUSTRY SPOTLIGHT- AIRLINES: UNITED IN BLOCKCHAIN- How blockchain helped AIR FRANCE & KLM increase travel offering, reduce expenditure and boost suppliers’ profitsFlorian Pautot - Lead Blockchain Developer, Air France – KLM, France
Air France & KLM are using blockchain to reduce number of supply-chain intermediaries while providing a more advantageous travel offer to customers and helping their suppliers increase profits
- Key benefits of blockchain for airlines
- Understanding blockchain implementation requirements in airline industry
- Building a trusted network and understanding decentralised record sharing amongst stakeholders
- Understanding skillsets needed to manage the implementation and developing internal competencies
Florian PautotLead Blockchain Developer
Air France – KLM, France
KYC AND IDENTITY MANAGEMENT
Despite the importance of an efficient Know Your Customer (KYC) strategy in the finance industry, it remains a very inefficient and tedious process with a huge risk of duplication and error, making it costly to the organisation and risky to the customer experience. With blockchain, the finance industry has finally found an efficient way to gain swift and secure access to clean and up-to-date data of their customers, which will not just enable huge cost savings, but will definitely help the industry reduce the overall $10bn spent on Anti Money Laundering compliances by knowing their customers better.
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm INDUSTRY SPOTLIGHT - FINANCE: KYC & BLOCKCHAIN - Blockchain enabled KYC achieves 25-50% cost savings for the finance industry- is your business ready for this paradigm shift?Toon Leijtens - Chief Technology Officer, Komgo, Switzerland
Jameel Khan - Head of Strategy and Governance, Mashreq Bank, UAE
Amol Bahuguna - Head of Payments and Cash Management, Institutional and Transaction Banking, Commercial Bank of Dubai, UAE
Shafique R Ibrahim - Group Head of IT, Al Fardan Group, UAE
KYC using blockchain tech is a serious consideration for banks and financial institutions faced with on boarding inefficiencies.
- What will be the future of identity management powered blockchain
- How Blockchain enabled KYC can eliminate the risks of the current identity management methodologies whilst also saving businesses millions of US$
Toon LeijtensChief Technology Officer
Jameel KhanHead of Strategy and Governance
Mashreq Bank, UAE
Amol BahugunaHead of Payments and Cash Management, Institutional and Transaction Banking
Commercial Bank of Dubai, UAE
Shafique R IbrahimGroup Head of IT
Al Fardan Group, UAE
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm INDUSTRY SPOTLIGHT - COMODITY: TRADING PIONEERING BLOCKCHAIN FOR COMMODITY TRADING - Introducing KOMGOToon Leijtens - Chief Technology Officer, Komgo, Switzerland
A consortium of companies active in commodities representing 15 of the world’s largest institutions founded Komgo to facilitate transactions between extractors, traders, financiers and to reduce mobility of capital. Find out what the driver for this partnership is and how will it transform commodity trading in the future.
- How Komgo aims to build a truly open and more efficient network within commodity trading
- The journey from an idea to large scale implementation within these institutions and how the rest can follow
Toon LeijtensChief Technology Officer
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm LUNCH AND NETWORKING BREAK
Swap business-cards and break the ice with your fellow participants to start making those valuable connections whilst enjoying buffet lunch
PRIVACY AND DATA GOVERNANCE
2:00 pm - 2:20 pm THE BIG BREAK: HOW TO IMPROVE PUBLIC LEDGER CONFIDENTIALITY – by 10X and at a lower cost with a new ZKPR solutionMariana Gomez de la Villa - Program Director, Distributed Ledger Technology, ING, Netherlands
One of the key challenges for applying distributed ledger tech in banking is protecting data privacy while meeting regularly requirements. ING Bank released its Zero-Knowledge-Range Proof solution to help improve confidentiality in a public ledger at much lower operational cost then ZKP tech.
- How ING’s ZKRP helps overcome the biggest obstacles to use blockchain technology
- Ensuring data privacy protection whilst meeting regulatory requirements using ZKRP
- Sticking to fundamental principles of completeness, soundness and zero knowledge while exploiting the power of Blockchain
Mariana Gomez de la VillaProgram Director, Distributed Ledger Technology
2:20 pm - 2:50 pm FIRE SIDE CHAT: BLOCKCHAIN & GDPR: FRIENDS OR FOES?
One requires adjustability, one delivers immutability. Can they thrive together?
- With similar intentions, but different functionalities, how can Europe and the world find a balance between them?
- How to manage enterprise data management and deletion in blockchain
INNOVATING OUR FUTURE
According to a recent report from Forbes, blockchain startups have reached $2.5 billion in investments, and if you include Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), the number is closer to $20 billion. This does not only create a huge potential for further investments for the Middle East, but also creates a platform for Start Ups and Incubators to create valuable partnerships and business opportunities.
2:50 pm - 3:10 pm A DIGITAL WORKFORCE: BUILDING A BLOCKCHAIN WORKFORCE FOR YOUR BUSINESS - Why blockchain workforce onboarding should be at the forefront of your blockchain strategy?
Blockchain is one of the fastest growing skill at the moment according to Upwork. While more and more businesses are set to adopt blockchain tech, skills shortage and cost of employment becomes a huge challenge.
- What competencies are required and where is the talent to work on fulfilling current gaps?
- What is required from a leader of the digital era?
- How to create a culture that is not just accepting such technologies but is also innovating for the future?
3:10 pm - 3:30 pm INVESTING IN BLOCKCHAIN: ICOs - UNDERSTANDING LEGAL AND REGULATORY FRAMEWORK IN MENA
While ICO phenomenon has taken off in some parts it is yet to be adopted in MENA. One of the reasons for this is that MENA countries are taking a more cautious approach with Dubai Services Authority even issuing warning on ICO risks in 2017. How will the situation develop in the future and how should we regulate ICOs in the Middle East?
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm MEET THE ICOs: PROPELLING ICOs TOWARD FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES
A showcase of world’s most leading ICOs
4:30 pm - 4:30 pm END OF DAY SIP AND CHAT
Relax and reflect on the day’s excitement with a beautiful Dubai setting
The published programme is correct at time of printing. However, given the seniority of our speakers and the nature of their roles, speakers may subsequently substitute or remove themselves from the programme. This is always regrettable, and we will always try to replace the speaker with a speaker with equivalent insight.